In 2014 we completed a 9 month round the world trip that we dubbed; '9 Months Of Sundays'. My wife and I plus 2 of our children: Chloe 15 and Noah 12. Michelle had a brain tumour in 2012 and life is much too short.
For the past 20 years Michelle and I have built up our natural light portrait business: Skylight Images.
I also love travel, editorial and in particular... street photography.
Street photography mindset has many similarities to ice hockey mindset. 1. Vision. In hockey be where the puck is going to be. In street be where spontaneity collides with chance. 2. Don't force it. In both street and hockey it must flow naturally. You can't force the pass or it gets picked off.... you can't force the flow of constantly changing elements (you can try but it never really works). 3. SHOOT!!!!
Both Street photography and Ice Hockey are intuitive, meditative, mindful -- in the moment -- life experiences. “Thinking should be done before and after, not during ...”- Henri Cartier-Bresson. *I wonder if HCB played hockey?
- 52X3=Paris. 52 days in Paris. 52 photo panels. 52 years old. *I was channeling Robert Doisneau.... or at least I like to think I was.
For me the street image must have a human presence.... this moves me to no end.
- Photo Credit: Florentine. Location: Pere Lachaise Cemetery
- *My pretentious 'I'm cool and I'm a photographer' look.
I purchased a Fujifilm X-Pro 1 as I wanted to travel light. The one and only lense I used was the XF 35mm 1.4 R.
All Portfolios photographed with the X-Pro 1 except the New York City and the Seattle/Portland Portfolios have some images from my Canon 5D. New Mark 111 came on my India Photography Tour 2016.
Street Classic Portfolio shot with Contax 167MT: 28mm Zeiss and 70-200 2.8 Zeiss Lenses: 1995 to 2004 in Vancouver, B.C. Ilford Delta 400
- Recent AWARDS:
- 1. **Best In Class: Editorial - Riding The Indian Rails. Professional Photographers Association Of British Columbia -- November, 2018.
- 2. **Best In Class: Portrait - Woman Begging At The Gates Of Dawn. Professional Photographers Association Of British Columbia -- November, 2018.
- 3. **JUDGES CHOICE AWARD and Runner Up: Pictorial - Thar Sunset. PPABC -- November, 2018.
- 4. **Best In Class: Feature Album - A Glimpse Of India. Professional Photographers Of Canada. May 2017.
- 5. **Best In Class: Portrait Of A Man -- "Bollywood Rebel". Professional Photographers Of British Columbia November 2016.
- 6. Judges Choice: Thar Desert. Professional Photographers Of British Columbia.
- 7. Honour of Distinction in Photojournalism /Life On The Streets: One Year Later: November 2016 — Black And White Spider Awards
- 8. **Best In Class: Feature Album -- "Paris". Professional Photographers Of Canada 2015.
- 9. 2nd Place Photo Life Magazine -- Dysturb Paris -- Interconnections, 2015.
- 10. **Best In Class: Portrait Of A Child -- "Child Of Africa". Professional Photographers Of British Columbia 2015.
- 11. Finalist Professional Photograher Of The Year. PPABC 2015.
- 12. Runner Up -- Best UnClassified. "Close Encounters". Professional Photographers Of British Columbia 2015.
- 13. Runner Up -- Best Portrait Of A Man. "Namaste". Professional Photographer's Of British Columbia 2015.
Photography Tours (The Mindful Traveler)
Annually: India, Morocco and Portugal tours through Langara College and Finisterra Travel
Poland and Cuba tours through Finisterra Travel
India - January:
Poland - September: Finisterra Travel
Cuba - November: Finisterra Travel
THE MINDFUL TRAVELER:
Travel helps us appreciate the people and cultures of the world. In recent years I've combined my knowledge and passion for photography with my love of international travel to create some amazing Photography Trips to some of my favourite destinations. There’s no better way to find creative inspiration than to explore someplace new. I've recognized that travelers want to see some well known areas of a new country but more often, want the quieter hoods, where tourists do not go and where we are not herded from location to location. I've scouted out these alternative neighbourhoods where the tourist buses are absent and I am thrilled to share these with my fellow travelers. My travel philosophy is that we are all ambassadors of kindness and respect and we treat everyone we meet -- including each other -- accordingly.
"The tour was fantastic. Wayne was amazing!! He did an incredible job of making the trip interesting and enjoyable for everyone and he is a great instructor. We were extremely well looked after and felt safe at all times. It was a trip of a lifetime." ~ Audrey
"Wayne had amazing enthusiasm for India and Photography. He followed through on making the trip a wonderful experience. I met my goals on improving my photography and I have a renewed interest. I loved the itinerary and the accommodation. Tours, guide, driver and bus were 1st class" ~ Donna
" A grand tour of the very diverse Indian nation and all its people and other treasures - fascinating and incredible. ~ Peter
" Wayne is a great teacher and I would definitely join Wayne for another photography tour. ~ Andrew
" Wayne was the most incredible leader and he took care of everyone's needs and requirements. We had lots of fun and interesting times. We were pleased with the India tour leader, our bus driver, his helper and tour bus." ~ Rosalie
- For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more details:
- www.langara.bc.ca/edtravel or email@example.com/ 604.323.5979